Loneliness in seniors has been a systemic problem for ages, and summer can be as bad as winter, as the heat can be just as difficult to cope with as the cold. When this happens, seniors tend to suffer from isolation and a decreased quality of life. There are simple ways to combat this epidemic and most aren't very difficult.
- Get your senior a pet: This may seem a simple fix, but having something to take care of and interact with helps lower anxiety and blood pressure, while improving mood.
- Offer rides: Sometimes the hardest part about being a member of a community in getting to events. As many seniors don't drive and the heat can discourage public transportation and walking, a ride to the shop or appointment can make all the difference.
- Give seniors a purpose: Encouraging hobbies and interests helps keep minds sharp. Whether it's painting, sewing, writing poetry, stargazing, or chess, there are many activities that can be promoted to keep seniors on an even keel.
- Keep up with appointments: Don't forgo the doctor or dentist, as regular check-ups help remind that one's health must be maintained. Keeping on top of these issues aren't just aids to fight loneliness, it's also how one avoids sickness and unhealthy habits.
- Have a plan: Making sure your senior knows what to do in case of an emergency or any other daily occurrence will help keep mind's sharp and ready for unpredictable situations.
Making sure one has company and does not slip into patterns of isolation is important for all people, but seniors will always need to be given extra attention. As it turns out, this can be done easily and can yield more positive results than one's singular intent.
At Caring Senior Service, our expert staff is comprised of extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and trusted professionals who take pride in helping your loved one manage their daily activities. Contact us today to learn more!